[OS X TeX] MacTeX2009

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Nov 9 18:03:16 CET 2009

On Nov 9, 2009, at 10:57 AM, Juergen Fenn wrote:

> Herbert Schulz schrieb:
>
>> Please be patient. It typically takes several days for the changes on
>> CTAN to propagate through the system. While the internet is pretty
>> fast
>> not all servers are updating at the same time (a good thing) and
>> we're
>> talking about GB of data moving around the world.
>
> First of all, I would like to thank everyone in the project for his or
> her contribution! It is good to see that there is a new TeX Live, and,
> also, a new MacTeX ready for install.
>
> However, I would like to suggest that in the future you please wait
> with
> the announcement for MacTeX until the new version is actually
> available
> on CTAN. When I realised this morning that you had updated the MacTeX
> page at tug.org so as to make it redirect from mactex/ to mactex/
> 2009/ I
> thought MacTeX was already available for download. When I still could
> not find it on several CTAN servers until noon, I thought that
> something
> had gone wrong with the announcement which just came out too early.
> This
> is why it is quite important to advise users not to download now,
> but to
> wait a while until the new MacTeX package has propagated across the
> CTAN
> network. I would even suggest to re-change the MacTeX website for a
> while, so as not to frustrate users, as most will not be subscribed to
> this mailinglist.
>
> Keep TeXing! :-)
> Jürgen.

Howdy,

Well, there are many folks on this list that also subscribe to other
lists where those announcements are made and then send the information
to this list. (No... no blame it's always nice to be informed.) So
trying to ``hide'' the information just won't work. Also note that
sometimes the cat gets out of the bag because one loses track over
which list you are answering.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)