[OS X TeX] Using new fonts in TeXShop

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Nov 6 17:44:38 CET 2009

Am 06.11.2009 um 02:50 schrieb The Trystero:

> Under the "Typeset" menu, I chose "TeX and DVI".

TeXShop uses its own shell script inside its application bundle to
convert DVI to PDF, /Applications/TeX/TeXShop.app/Contents/Resources/
altpdflatex, which is in my case actually /usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/
universal-darwin/simpdftex. This script produces output which is sent
to the Console application which can be found in /Applications/
Utilities. To check why the conversion fails you could either launch
Console and copy the output of altpdflatex/simpdftex into an eMail or
run simpdftex on the command line and copy its output from Terminal...

> I updated all my packages using TLU, then applied the font fix.
> However, I'm still getting the same results.

You're getting still the same result via the old-fashioned DVI route.
Could you try to produce PDF directly? How is the output now?

> One other thing I noticed was that although TeXShop generated the
> PDF, when I tried to open the DVI directly in Skim, I get an error
> saying "The document Untitled.dvi could not be opened".

Now, this sounds as if something was not finished or saved or however
completed. TeXShop was so nice to produce something temporary and
volatile for you (because it can) and you seem to have asked Skim to
open and display something not existing? A name like "Untitled" looks
like a user's fault.

It's probably best you open a new test case and also to open Mail and
record in a response to this eMail exactly all your steps until the
failure happens (if it works this time you can save it for you or
trash it). Also make TeXShop show its own console window which would
display in a less complicated fashion any failures from the latex
run. (Remember that you can also open an existing TeX file in
TextEdit or copy an existing contents inside a LaTeX window of
TeXShop temporarily in some compose window of Mail. Not a single bit
of data has to be lost to create a new and clean test case.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they
start selling vacuum cleaners.
				– Ernest Jan Plugge