[OS X TeX] tlmgr generate updmap problem...

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Nov 5 23:02:11 CET 2009

On Nov 5, 2009, at 3:41 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 05.11.2009 um 20:57 schrieb Thierry:
>
>> Cannot open /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg
>> for writing: Permission denied at /usr/local/texlive/2009/tlpkg/
>> TeXLive/TLUtils.pm line 2415.
>
> Tlmgr is meant to manage the system's TeX Live installation, it is
> not meant to manage some user's fonts. You'll have to follow Herb's
> advice...
>
> My recommendation is to write a shell script with a dozen or such
> lines à la
>
> 	updmap -enable Map <map file fragment 1>.map
> 	updmap -enable Map <map file fragment 2>.map
>
> Launch it before you go to bed and next morning save it that you can
> use it again when you install the next TeX Live distribution!
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete
>
> Work is the curse of the drinking class.
> 				– Oscar Wilde

Howdy,

I prefer using something like

#!/bin/bash
sudo mktexlsr
sudo -H updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --syncwithtrees
sudo -H updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --enable Map mymap1.map
sudo -H updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --enable Map mymap2.map
sudo -H updmap-sys

on the system wide method. This will first get all the maps entered in
updmap.cfg, enable each of the maps you want without taking the time
to rebuild the pdftex.map, etc., and finally rebuild the the system
wide pdftex.cfg, etc., maps.

If you are trying for a purely personal configuration use

updmap ...

instead of

sudo -H updmap-sys ...

above.

If you want to build a global map that includes the fonts in your
personal texmf tree use

sudo updmap-sys ...

instead of

sudo -H updmap-sys

since the distribution files are owned by root when installed with
MacTeX.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)