[OS X TeX] tlmgr generate updmap problem...

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Nov 5 21:59:56 CET 2009

On Nov 5, 2009, at 1:57 PM, Thierry wrote:

> Hello,
> I have installed the lastest version of texlive-2009 on my mac
> (mactex-2009-nov-4.mpkg).
>
> I have a lot of personnal map files I would like to put into
> updmap.cfg.
>
> For that I would like to use the
> 'tlmgr generate updmap'
> procedure with a local file
> 'updmap-local.cfg' in my 'library/texmf/web2c/' folder.
>
> The problem is that the command 'sudo tlmgr generate updmap' does
> not seem to do anything at all.
> If I try without the 'sudo', it says:
>
> Cannot open /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg
> for writing: Permission denied at /usr/local/texlive/2009/tlpkg/
> TeXLive/TLUtils.pm line 2415.
>
> With the 'sudo', no message at all...
> After that, when I use 'sudo updmap', I have no trace of my own map
> files.
>
> Any ideas/advices?
>
> For the moment I use my old method: put my Map commands into a local
> copy of the updmap.cfg file.
> It works, but I understand that it is not the best way to do it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Thierry

Howdy,

A personal version of the pdftex.map, etc., files are created in
~/.texlive2009/ not in your personal tree at ~/Library/texmf/. Take a
look there.

Also, for personal maps you need to invoke

updmap --enable Map mymap.map

for each of the map files you want to activate. NOTE: there is no sudo
used for personal map since that would create the files with root as
owner in your personal texlive2009 tree.

I usually discourage doing things this way. I'd install the fonts in
the proper subdirectories of /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/, run

sudo mktexlsr

and then

sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map mymap.map

for each mymap.map file you wish to activate. If you keep the fonts in
your personal texmf tree (~/Library/texmf/) leave out the -H option
which tells sudo to use root's home directory rather than your home
directory. Make sure you delete everything in your ~/.texlive2009/
directory since that will be found first.

If you have lots of maps to enable I'd create a script to save you time.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)