[OS X TeX] Font cache problems following Office installation

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Nov 5 11:07:59 CET 2009

Am 05.11.2009 um 07:06 schrieb David Messerschmitt:

> So the question remains why Texshop is adversely affected by this /
> Library/Fonts/Microsoft directory, but not Apple Preview and Adobe
> Reader.
> That is one for the Texshop developers.

It's a bit strange that TeXShop shows a behaviour which Preview does
not show. Both are based on the same frameworks Apple delivers with
Mac OS X. Maybe it's chance that pollutes the application. The
applications seem to take the glyphs they are displaying from a font
cache. I don't know how it works, how it can happen that obviously
glyphs from different fonts can be mixed up since every font used has
a unique identifier and a cache is an organised heap. Skim is also
based on these Apple frameworks.

Adobe products use their own software routines. The PDF displayer of
TeXworks uses a Public Domain software.

The MS reference you supplied tells that the MS installer would have
put the MS fonts into the Disabled folders if it would have found
them duplicates of files in the Fonts folders. Why did this fail?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Isn't vi that text editor with two modes... one that beeps and one
that corrupts your file?
				– Dan Jacobson, on comp.os.linux.advocacy