[OS X TeX] Font cache problems following Office installation

David Messerschmitt messer at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Nov 5 07:06:58 CET 2009

On Nov 4, 2009, at 10:16 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 04.11.2009 um 19:03 schrieb David Messerschmitt:
>
>> I went thru and turned off duplicates one by one. Rebooted. Problem
>> recurs.
>
> Font Book only heals for one session, maybe for one uptime period.
> Better move duplicates out of the way, out of /Library/Fonts, ~/
> Library/Fonts, /Networks/Library/Fonts.

Peter, your suggestion appears to have solved the problem. The
following article describes what Office 2008 does when it installs
fonts:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948736

It stores all the newer and better fonts in a new directory /Library/
Fonts/Microsoft. That directory is the source of all or most of the
duplicates seen in Font Book.
So I moved that whole Microsoft directory out of /Library/Fonts, and
this seems to have resolved the issue with Texshop. Also, Word does
not seem
harmed, and indeed the MS installer offers the option to not install
those newer and better fonts so they must not be essential.
Also note that the /Library/Fonts Disabled directory was created by
the Microsoft installer, not Font Book.

So the question remains why Texshop is adversely affected by this /
Library/Fonts/Microsoft directory, but not Apple Preview and Adobe
Reader.
That is one for the Texshop developers.

-dave

David Messerschmitt
Roger Strauch Professor Emeritus
Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences
University of Californa at Berkeley
     and
Visiting Professor
Helsinki University of Technology