[OS X TeX] Re: TeXShop: Stability issues and window position

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Nov 4 23:27:05 CET 2009

On Nov 4, 2009, at 4:04 PM, Malcolm Ross wrote:

> On 05/11/2009, at 12:20 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>

>> On Nov 4, 2009, at 12:14 AM, Malcolm Ross wrote:
>>
>>> I have experienced one of the problems that Davide reports, namely
>>> crashing

>>> My set-up is the same as Davide notes in his email (see below).
>>> Perhaps this is significant.
>>>
>>> All the best,
>>>
>>> - Malcolm
>>>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> When you compile the file is a .synctex.gz file created? What is
>> your Sync Method (TeXShop->Preferences->Typesetting->Sync Method)?
>> Does it work one way, e.g., source->pdf, but not the other way?
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>>

> Thanks, Herb. No, no .synctex.gz created.
>
> Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, Davide and I
> are simply referring to what happens when you command-doubleclick in
> either the pdf or tex window to be taken to the corresponding point
> in the other window. Sometimes --not always--the rainbow ball spins
> then TeXShop quits. Annoying, but rarely disastrous.
>
> - Malcolm

Howdy,

I don't think you need to double-click, Cmd-Click should be enough.

If the synctex.gz file isn't being produced when you compile your
document make sure that TeXShop->Preferences->Typesetting->Sync Method
is NOT set to SyncTeX.

On the other hand, since you are using MacTeX 2008 (NOT true for
MacTeX 2007!!!) you can set up your engines to produce the synctex.gz
file. 1)Add the option --synctex=1 to the end of the TeXShop-
 >Preferences->Engine->pdfTeX options (e.g., I use

pdflatex --shell-escape --synctex=1

for the Latex value --- note space between options). For TeXShop-
 >Preferences->Engine->TeX+dvips+distiller->Latex I add --extratexopts
"-synctex=1" (again, a space on each side) while the TeX value has to
change (the origina tex engine can't be changed) to something like

simpdftex etex --extradvipsopts "-R0" --extratexopts "-synctex=1" --
distiller ps2pdf14

to do the job. (Of course, if you never use Plain TeX don't worry
about those options.) I add the option -synctex=1 (with a space ...)
to the command lines in the xelatex and xetex engine files. If you use
the latest latexmk engines the synctex option should already be set.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)