[OS X TeX] How about just shortening the URL?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Nov 4 07:13:05 CET 2009

On 04/11/2009, at 11:18 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 03.11.2009 um 23:12 schrieb David Messerschmitt:
>
>> To those of you struggling with breaking of long URLs using \url
>> {}, how about just creating a short URL using one of the free URL
>> redirection services like:
>
> Doesn't it turn the URL into something vague, indeterminate,
> anonymous?

It does indeed.

The approach suggested, but not forced, with LaTeX2HTML was to use
  \htmladdnormallinkfoot
which would insert the URL in a footnote.

This way you don't interrupt the flow of text within a paragraph,
and you get a reduced font size, as well as a full page-width to
set long URLs.

Even if it still needs to break, then the 2nd line doesn't look
wrong when not indented like the first, since the difference is
very slight (width of the footnote marker).
Also there is no paragraph text to look bad against.

> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete
>
> These are my principles and if you don't like them... well, I have
> others.
> 				- Groucho Marx

Hope this helps,

	Ross