[OS X TeX] TeXShop: Stability issues and window position

Davide Cantoni davide.cantoni at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 23:43:58 CET 2009

Dear all,

I have been a faithful user of TeXShop since 2003, but I have been
recently disappointed by the performance of the latest version. I am
writing you to see if some of you share these concerns, or if I should
rather blame them to some idiosyncrasies of my computer.

- The most annoying issue is the tendency to crash very, very often.
In fact, I have never had a single piece of Mac software that crashes
with such a frequency; a frequency that I used to think was only
likely to be found on Windows machines. TeXShop tends to crash with
particular likelihood:
	- When doing some copy and paste job
	- When scrolling up and down, especially during copy/paste
	- When asking to "sync" the tex and the pdf windows
	- When doing a find/replace job
	- In general, when some particularly intensive task is required,
maybe coupled or followed by another intensive task.

- The other issue is the position of the windows on opening. I know
there is an option on "Preferences > Source" which allows to choose
the Source window position ("Remember last position on close"/"All
windows start at fixed position") but whatever I choose is absolutely
without consequences. Whether or not this works is an absolute matter
of chance. Sometimes I manage to get it right as I want it (source
window on the top left of the screen, parallel to but not overlapping
with the preview window) but over time the source window tends to
migrate rightwards, and overlap with the preview window.

- Finally, there are some occasional bugs. Right now, the macro
"Offsets > Quote" did not work, nothing would happen when I select it.
Quitting and relaunching TeXShop helped this time. But, come on: this
is not what you expect from a piece of Mac software. On top of that,
if it's an old and well-tested software which I had been enjoying very
much until recently, and not some beta version.

Is anyone experiencing similar problems?

Best,

Davide