[OS X TeX] placeholders

Sime ungar at math.hr
Mon Nov 2 11:20:36 CET 2009

Dear list,
I am using TeXShop as the LaTeX editor, and in my CommandCompletion file I
have quite a few shortcuts like this one:

grmp:=\begin{minipage}{#INS#mm}#RET#\begin{picture}(•)(0,0)\footnotesize#RET#\put(0,0){\includegraphics<•->[•]{•}}#RET#\end{picture}#RET#\end{minipage}~%#RET#\begin{minipage}{•mm}#RET#•#RET#\end{minipage}

which triggered (in the above case by typing "grmp" and hitting ESCape key)
put

\begin{minipage}{mm}
\begin{picture}(•)(0,0)\footnotesize
\put(0,0){\includegraphics<•->[•]{•}}
\end{picture}
\end{minipage}~%
\begin{minipage}{•mm}
\end{minipage}

in my tex-file, with the insertion point in front of mm for the width of the
minipage .
(I use this particular shortcut to put a graphics parallel with some text in
a beamer presentation.)

After inserting the number (of millimeters), hitting the TAB key takes me to
the first bullet (OPT+8), the next TAB puts the insertion point at the next
bullet, and so on.

This has worked fine on my old TI PowerBook under Tiger, but it does not
work anymore on MacBook under Leopard. After a while I realized that all
this worked due to a small application, actually a PreferencePane, called
TextMacro. Trying to run it on the MacBook under Leopard I got "You cannot
open TextMacro preferences because it doesn't work on an Intel-based Mac". I
have contacted the author Mikael Langer, and he explained to me that as of
OSX 10.5 Apple has blocked the mechanism that makes TextMacro work.

My question is: Does anyone know any substitute/replacement for TextMacro or
something similar? Would it be possible to implement such a thing in TeXShop
(e.g. like #INS# and #RET#)? What I currently do is to put the bullet into
the search field in the Find window and keep hitting CMD+G.

I would appreciate any help.

     Sime Ungar