[OS X TeX] A matter of degree (C or F)

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Fri May 29 00:59:19 CEST 2009

On May 28, 2009, at 6:17 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 28.05.2009 um 19:36 schrieb Alain Schremmer:
>
>> — I have no interest in, and even less time for, the intricacies
>> of encoding. (I don't even know what I am using.)
>
> You certainly pay attention to which kind of petrol, diesel, or gas
> you fill into your car.

Not really other than using the cheapest I can get. (My racing car
days are very long gone.)

> Or fill your stomach with.

Now here we are talking about something entirely different.

> The same natural relationship is appropriate for LaTeX input (and
> font) encodings. I think the Latin input encodings even use a
> workaround for °: \ensuremath{^\circ} when the \textdegree macro is
> used.

Huh?

> Not paying attention to input encoding means not paying attention
> to non-7-bit characters, meaning: avoiding them in any case.

That's fine with me whatever that means.

>> — textcomp certainly looks like a very powerful package and I had
>> forgotten about it but won't (famous last words)
>
> The texcomp package is too eminent that almost no-one is using it.

 From just looking at the Companion 2ed, I can see that this is
something that is worth . . .  keeping in mind just in case.

> For me textcomp (and choice of encodings) is part of any LaTeX
> document. It's like underwear and shoes (actually sandals) and sun
> glasses (as protection against summer sun shine) as basis of my
> other clothes.

While I do wear underwear, I am barefoot most of the time and never
use sun glasses.

What it all boils down to is that, as far as typesetting goes, I am
far from being a perfectionist and care only for (rough) "mise en
page" and not much else.

I do enjoy reading other people being perfectionists about
typesetting as well as about other things, it warms my heart but,
myself, I do tend to be innately a slob.

Best regards
--schremmer