[OS X TeX] A matter of degree (C or F)

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Thu May 28 19:36:41 CEST 2009

On May 28, 2009, at 1:06 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 28.05.2009 um 18:08 schrieb Alain Schremmer:
>
>> (Didn't find it in Companion 2ed)
>
> Have you forgot how to read? The textcomp(anion) package and
> encoding is explained. And there are \textdegree and \textcelsius (°
> C), maybe there is also a \textfahrenheit.

If we are going to get seriously technical about it,

— I am not quite at the point where I have forgotten how to read.
(But it's coming, it's coming . . . )
— I gave Unicode: 00B0, UTF8: C2 B0 only to be precise about what I
wanted.
— I have no interest in, and even less time for, the intricacies of
encoding. (I don't even know what I am using.)
— I was not interested in thermodynamics—at that particular time
— The Companion 2ed's index gives only \deg, 500—which outputs the
function deg.
— textcomp certainly looks like a very powerful package and I had
forgotten about it but won't (famous last words)
— Forcing (potential) downloaders of the magnum opus to load textcomp
for just this one symbol would seem a bit inconsiderate
— I still can't believe that given the plethora of symbols in LaTeX,
one should have to do ^{\circ}

Seriously technical regards
--schremmer