[OS X TeX] Parts of equations dragged from TeXShop

david craig dac at panix.com
Wed May 13 23:24:50 CEST 2009

> Can you give us a minimum, but complete, sample file that does this?

Wish I could!

I've been seeing it in simple things like, say, \Delta\nu_1 set in
LaTeXiT.

Whatever's triggering it, it's not the TeX source code.

Besides, as I said, it is NOT a reliably reproducible problem.   Things
will be fine on repeated viewing, then the missing characters appear,
then everything's downhill after that.    Any pdf one views after that
shows missing characters, more and more the longer you go.

> What does it look like in Adobe Reader ?
> ... or in Keynote, or whatever viewer that you'll be using for
> the presentation?

Once I see it in one application, it starts showing up in all the others
that view the pdf -- TeXShop, Preview, KeyNote.  I haven't checked Adobe
Reader much, but when I have, things have looked fine.

Based on what I've read of the pdf font cache bug, it sounds a lot like
cache corruption of some sort, with Reader immune since it uses its own
pdf display routines.   This, however, is just conjecture.

> Beware, this "small PDF" is actually the whole page, with cropping
> set to display just the portion you selected.
> With whole pages included this way, each with different subsets
> of the fonts --- but perhaps using similar names for these subsets,
> since they came from the same original PDF --- I'm not all that
> surprised that there might be visible problems.

Well, I've never had a problem with LaTeXiT before.  I have used it VERY
heavily to generate equations for presentations.  However, dragging from
TeXShop's viewer *IS* perhaps the one new element here.  Maybe the way
TeXShop is accomplishing this is different.

It's a shame if that's the case.  I've been very pleased about the
discovery I could drag from TeXShop because in that case I can put all
the equations for a given presentation in one file and drag them out one
by one.   It becomes quite tedious in LaTeXiT.

*sigh*

I may just have to give in and switch to beamer.

> I seem to remember something about previously typeset documents
> causing the issue to reappear until they were typeset anew.

Hmm, yes, it does say that.   I've never seen this before this week and
this presentation, though.   Still, that could be very bad indeed.   I
have numerous presentations with literally hundreds of equations (mostly
generated with LaTeXiT).

At any rate, can someone tell precisely what cache files to delete, to
make sure I'm not misisng something?

David Craig

<http://www.panix.com/~dac/>