[OS X TeX] New Editor.

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat May 2 15:31:29 CEST 2009

On May 2, 2009, at 8:20 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On May 1, 2009, at 10:19 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

>>> Given that the site is a .com, I would assume that TeXWriter will
>>> eventually become proprietary. Given that it is soliciting bug
>>> reports etc, it reminds me of the GraceNote incident a few years
>>> ago.
>>

>> So what?  Soliciting bug reports is beneficial for users and for
>> the developer, providing the developer acts on them.  I submit bug
>> reports and feature requests to commercial software developers
>> regularly, if they provide a mechanism for it and have demonstrated
>> that it's worth my time.  Apple is seldom responsive, but
>> visualdatatools.com, wavemetrics.com, and stone.com are great
>> examples of well-supported commercial applications.
>
> I entirely agree of course. But there is a bit of a difference in
> this case. At this point, we are invited to download the app freely
> and this is where the ambiguity arises: when I "submit bug reports
> and feature requests" to, say, Intaglio, I know without doubt that
> it is a commercial application since I bought it. i wonder how the
> people who might feel they have contributed to the development will
> feel if there suddenly is a price tag on the app—which I was not
> able to try since I am still on 10-4. Call me naïve but it seems to
> me that a clear notice as to whether or not TeXWriter will
> eventually be for sale wouldn't have hurt.
>
> Regards
> --schremmer

Howdy,

Then why are you making a list of feature requests for TeXShop? Why
should anyone report a bug for any free software? While bugs have to
be prioritized since those working on free software have other jobs
and limited resources they do get fixed and the software remains free.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)