[OS X TeX] fonts: can't find sminital.pfb

Kyle Johnson kbj at linguist.umass.edu
Sat Mar 28 18:02:49 CET 2009

I've moved up to TeX Live 2008 recently, and am having trouble
installing some fonts: minion pro and syntax. I've installed the
relevant files in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local and run

mktexlsr /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local

and

updmap-sys --enable Map *.map

for  the relevant map files. When i run LaTeX, it halts and complains
that it cannot find sminital.pfb. Indeed, when I run find in Terminal,
it isn't found. But when I look in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/
fonts/type1/springer/minion, it's there.

I'm embarrassed asking a font installation question when so many have
done so much to smooth this process. But my search through the
archives hasn't yet turned up anything that solves my problem. I'm
probably doing something too simply wrong.

thanks in advance,
Kyle