[OS X TeX] Including pdf and ps graphics in the same document.

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Mar 24 22:31:52 CET 2009

On 25/03/2009, at 8:19 AM, Randy Scott wrote:

> The pdf graphics (created in Mathematica or Adobe Illustrator, and
> then run
> through Apple's Preview to save as a pdf (I like the results better
> than
> using either programs/ built in pdf)) are included in the document
> with
> \includegraphics[scale=1]{file.pdf}

Simply remove the .pdf extension from the filename:

\includegraphics[scale=1]{file}

This will fix the problem ...

> Unfortunately, when I choose LaTeX, I get a message that says "process
> exited with errors." However, if I comment out all the lines with
> \include
> graphics{...}, then the process completes normally. When I use the
> Quick-Build on the file with the \includegraphics{...}, the error
> messages
> say "LaTeX Error: Cannot determine size of graphic in
> 270B_09-1_Exam_II_01.pdf (no
> BoundingBox)"

      ... because that information will now be read from
   270B_09-1_Exam_II_01.eps   if it exists.

If it doesn't exist, then adjust your workflow
to make sure that it does.

Alternatively, lern how to use the  pdftricks  package,
for graphics that need to use  PSTricks .

It works exceptionally well, once you have sorted out
all the intricacies particular to your workflow.

> Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Randy Scott
> Santiago Canyon College

Hope this helps,