[OS X TeX] Mactex 2008 installation

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Mar 23 20:52:15 CET 2009

On Mar 23, 2009, at 11:56 AM, fredgoodman wrote:

> I have just installed mactex 2008 on two systems, with the result
> that I have two broken tex systems.
>
> I also took the opportunity to remove old tex installations:
> gwtex,  tetex, fink tetex.  I left texlive 2007 in place.
>
> Here's where I am:
>
> System I:   texlive 2008 works on a test document (good).   But
> texhash,   updmap do not find any configuration files.
>
> updmap is looking for config files in old (and removed)   /sw
> locations, where a fink tex installation used to be located, and
> ONLY in these locations.
>
> On this system, even texlive 2007 is now compromised (potentially)
> because I can never run
> texhash, updmap.
>

> System II:    texlive 2008 doesn't work at all,  pdflatex runs, but
> then not even CM fonts are found,
> and no pdf file is generated.
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Howdy,

What is the active distribution according to the TeX Distribution
System Preference Pane? If it's not TeX Live 2007 or 2008 set it for
one of those distributions.

What does

echo $PATH

(or $path if you are using tcsh)

return? If there is a /sw/bin before the /usr/texbin take a look in
your .profile or .bash_profile (for bash) or .cshrc or .tcshrc (for
tcsh) and look for something that is initializing your path (something
running a /sw/... init file) and prepend /usr/texbin before that.

Hope that helps.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)