[OS X TeX] Mactex 2008 installation

fredgoodman goodman at math.uiowa.edu
Mon Mar 23 17:56:48 CET 2009

I have just installed mactex 2008 on two systems, with the result that
I have two broken tex systems.

I also took the opportunity to remove old tex installations:  gwtex,
tetex, fink tetex.  I left texlive 2007 in place.

Here's where I am:

System I:   texlive 2008 works on a test document (good).   But
texhash,   updmap do not find any configuration files.

updmap is looking for config files in old (and removed)   /sw
locations, where a fink tex installation used to be located, and ONLY
in these locations.

On this system, even texlive 2007 is now compromised (potentially)
because I can never run
texhash, updmap.

System II:    texlive 2008 doesn't work at all,  pdflatex runs, but
then not even CM fonts are found,
and no pdf file is generated.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.