[OS X TeX] Collaborating on LaTeX documents

David B. Thompson, Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE, CFM drdbthompson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 00:04:23 CET 2009

I'd like to poll the collective on how we work out the details of
collaborating on writing projects shared among a variety of authors.

My research team used Word for awhile, but after fighting with the
differences in formatting that invariably result, and fighting with
frontmatter and backmatter, we eventually gave up and resorted to
using LaTeX. Three of the team members are LaTeX literate, if not
experts. The fourth and the odd pick-up researcher that joins the core
team occasionally we just carry by cut-and-paste or whatever is
necessary.

I've been tempted to set up a subversion repository to hold our draft
reports, with the authors able to check-out and check-in edits and
upload graphics for including in the documents. I haven't done this
yet, in part because I lack an appropriate place to host the
repository, and in part because I'm still a bit intimidated by
subversion. (Problem is surmountable with a little time and effort.)

What are y'all doing when working as a team? Are you just passing the
source about? Is one person operating as a manual repository? Are
there tools out there I'm not aware of?

Thanks for all the interesting content. I'm looking forward to the
interaction. Have a happy weekend!

-=d

David Thompson, Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE, CFM
Civil Engineer/Hydrologist