packages in TeXShop (was: Re: [OS X TeX] question regarding spacing after a period)

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Sat Mar 14 00:24:00 CET 2009

On  13 Mar, 2009, at 17:03, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 13.03.2009 um 23:40 schrieb Axel E. Retif:
>
>> -rw-r--r--  1 nobody  wheel  9294590 Feb 14 18:05 /var/db/
>> locate.database
>
> That's a bit old for the work of /etc/periodic/weekly/500.weekly. Is
> it from Tiger or Leopard?

Leopard. But, as I said, this machine (desktop) is usually not turn on
at such early hours; my laptop is, though, and it shows Mar 7 (last
Saturday) as the modification date of locate.database.

> In /etc/periodic/daily/500.daily, towards the end, you can find the
> lines
>
> 	if [ -f /etc/daily.local ]; then
> 	    echo ""
> 	    echo "Running daily.local:"
> 	    sh /etc/daily.local
> 	fi
>
> This gives you an opportunity to run more things on a daily basis. I
> have:
>
> 	nice /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb
> 	nice /usr/libexec/makewhatis.local ... <many man paths to Fink and
> MacPorts and TeX Live(s)>

Then this is the reason for your anacron-like behavior, isn't it? In
the past, and above all in my office machines (which were never turned
on at such hours), I changed the time for daily, weekly and monthly
cleaning jobs. But now I just use find for /usr/local and, for
everything else, the excellent and free utility EasyFind

http://www.devon-technologies.com/products/freeware/index.html

which, unlike Spotlight, searches into ~/Library and /Library.

Best,

Axel