[OS X TeX] Re: TeXShop Feature Request

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Mar 9 23:37:39 CET 2009

On Mar 9, 2009, at 5:20 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 9 mrt 2009, at 23:16, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>

>> By ``old syntax'' do you mean the %&latex style?
>
> I assume the %! (rather than %%!) syntax. While sometimes causing a
> little confusion, this is one of the lesser harmful ones.
> Don't mention the older options, they should not be used (and
> removed really quickly from all documentation).
>
> Maarten

Howdy,

That is what I was wondering about. The extra % (%%! rather than %!)
is there only because starting a file with a line beginning with %! is
interpreted by (some?) PostScript printers as the start of a
Postscript File (I still think that is plain wrong since the
requirement is %!PS) so sending the file to such a printer will
confuse the printer. TeXShop just doesn't care is the extra % is there.

I also wonder if that only happens when using lp in Terminal; isn't a
proper header file prepended to the print stream when using the print
dialog? Just pure specualtion on my part.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)