[OS X TeX] TeXShop Feature Request

Sat Mar 7 22:50:14 CET 2009

On 07.03.2009, at 14:10, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2009, at 7:53 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> Windows for both Preview and Source as far as I'm concerned. I
>>> always want both in (at least partial) view. Adding tabs takes
>>> away from space for text.
>>
>> I agree but then I have two screens.
>>
>> However, we don't all have large screen(s), so how about giving
>> the choice to the user in the Preferences?
>>
>> Regards
>> --schremmer
>

> Howdy,
>
> I've got a 15inch diagonal screen on my MacBook Pro and even though
> the Preview and Source windows overlap I'd never want tabs for
> them. Even the Console or Log shouldn't be in a tab since I want to
> see those windows along with the Source window even if they must
> overlap. In general I think tabs are a bad idea in this situation
> and they also uselessly take up limited space on my smallish screen.
>
> Of course you can Preferences for all sorts of stuff but that just
> makes the Application more complex to set up and use as well as
> maintain since the possible combinations of choices increases
> factorially.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

I second Herb's view on this. Even though I am on a 12'' iBook screen
I don't see the point in tabbing the pdf and the source. How would
you syncing expect to work in such a setting? Automatic switch of tab?
My favorite editor Aquamacs (I know, I just qualified my vote for the
future of TeXShop but for what it's worth, it is my 2nd most used
editor) has tabs and I use them only to open the master and the input
file in tabs of the same frame. This is nice. Pdf preview and source
should be kept apart.

Alex