[OS X TeX] If you have...

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Fri Mar 6 18:27:22 CET 2009

Herbert Schulz wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> We are trying to put together some information for those who install
> MacTeX but already have a Fink or MacPorts TeX distribution.
>
> I already know that Fink adds a line to shell initialization scripts but
> I need to know exactly which scripts (i.e., the ones in /etc/ or ~),
> which files (.cshrc, .profile, .bash_profile, etc.) and what is added.
>  From previous discussions here I have some information already but need
> complete information.

I can tell you what Fink adds by default:

1. If the user's shell is csh or tcsh, it appends the line

    test -r /sw/bin/init.csh && source /sw/bin/init.csh

to ~/.tcshrc if this exists, or else to ~/.cshrc.

2. If the user's shell is bash, it appends the line

    test -r /sw/bin/init.sh && . /sw/bin/init.sh

to ~/.bash_profile if this exists, else to ~/.bash_login if this exists,
or else to ~/.profile.

3. If the user's shell is not csh, tcsh, or bash, it does nothing.

--
Martin