[OS X TeX] font installation problem

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Jul 28 01:00:19 CEST 2009

Am 27.07.2009 um 20:33 schrieb Kyle Johnson:

> I've run sudo updmap-sys --enable Map springer.map and sudo texhash.

Did you run them in this sequence?

If yes, then you need to disable the springer MAP file fragment and
then to re-enable it again:

	sudo updmap-sys --disable springer.map
	sudo updmap-sys --enable Map springer.map

> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/fmnj/m/n' undefined
> (Font)              using `T1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 9.
>

> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/lsx/m/n' undefined
> (Font)              using `T1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 12.

The first missing font obviously has to do with Minion, the latter
seems to have a connection to lsyntax.sty. There must be some fonts
related files for this latter package, one of them a MAP file
fragment for updmap-sys to enable it. Looking on my TeX Collection
2008 DVD I see in /Volumes/TeXCol2008/ctan/fonts/psfonts/w-a-schmidt
the files lsx.txt and lsx.zip. The latter archive also contains
lsx.map. It has to be enabled. (And you need to have the Linotype
Syntax font files on your Mac and renamed accordingly!)

The fmnj case seems to be a Minion font in an "expert encoding."
Since I installed recently the Minion Pro fonts I know that they
don't use fmn* font names. So it has to do with Walter Schmidt and
his font support files. The problem is that he uses the font family
name pmn for Minion (p stands for PostScript = Adobe). The same
directory as mentioned above has the pmn.* files and the pmn.zip
archive provides a MAP file fragment that maps pmn* TeX font names to
pmn*.pfb font files. And there is no pmnj entry as substitute for
fmnj. But there is: sfonts.*, and the ZIP archive has a springer.map
file with many fmn* TeX font names…

Is it clear to you which files you *might* need to install? Is it
also clear to you that you need to have the probably non-free  PFB
font files? You also need to enable the fourier fonts if not already
done by the installation.

And after installation, best in the texmf-local tree, which allows to
use the fonts with different TeX distributions, you first need to run
texhash, afterwards you can enable further MAP file fragments. If you
do it again in the wrong order, updmap-sys will record a MAP file
fragment's name in its configuration but not include this file's
contents because it could not be found. The error can be solved by
disabling the MAP file fragment(s), springer and lsx, (sometimes it
had to be twice or even three times) and the re-enabling them again.
Now, after the texhash command had been executed, updmap-sys will
find the files and include their contents.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Don't just do something, sit there.