[OS X TeX] invisible text

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 02:10:03 CEST 2009

There is quite a bit more to it than I thought:

\documentclass[11pt]{book}
\begin{document}
definition, infinite, specification, definite
\end{document}

with my preamble was giving an error about titletoc being
incompatible with minitoc (which I had forgotten to remove but hadn't
given any trouble until now) but  without any preable as above now gives

definition, infinite, spedification, definite.

with a combination p b in place of fi, that is with a vertical line
with an o glued to its right.

Here is the console:

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
  \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(./minimal.tex
LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax,
dumylang, noh
yphenation, arabic, basque, bulgarian, coptic, welsh, czech, slovak,
german, ng
erman, danish, esperanto, spanish, catalan, galician, estonian,
farsi, finnish,
  french, greek, monogreek, ancientgreek, croatian, hungarian,
interlingua, ibyc
us, indonesian, icelandic, italian, latin, mongolian, dutch, norsk,
polish, por
tuguese, pinyin, romanian, russian, slovenian, uppersorbian, serbian,
swedish,
turkish, ukenglish, ukrainian, loaded.
(/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/latex/base/book.cls
Document Class: book 2005/09/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/latex/base/bk11.clo))
No file minimal.aux.
[1{/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}]
(./minimal.aux) )</usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/fonts/type1/bluesky/
cm/cmr10.p
fb>
Output written on minimal.pdf (1 page, 6555 bytes).
Transcript written on minimal.log.

Hopeful regards
--schremmer