[OS X TeX] turn off syncing?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Jul 19 02:17:30 CEST 2009

On Jul 18, 2009, at 5:58 PM, <epicurus at forallx.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Recently I had to trash my TeXShop preferences because they became
> corrupted.  I then opened TeXShop and recreated my old preference
> settings.
>
> But now whenever I typeset, I get a synctex.gz file floating
> around.  Before I trashed the corrupt prefs, this didn't happen.  I
> do not want any syncing going on; I use an external editor, and just
> don't want or need syncing.  I looked in the TeXShop prefs to see if
> I forgot to click something.  I only see four choices: Pdfsync,
> Search, Both, Synctex.
>
> I tried clicking on Pdfsync, thinking that "hey, that won't produced
> a synctex file, and also won't produced a foo.pdfsync file *unless*
> I call it with \usepackage{pdfsync}".
>
> Boy was I wrong; it TeXShop is still creating those blasted
> synctex.gz's.  It kept doing this even when I switched the prefs to
> "Search" and "Both".
>
> Can someone please tell me how to turn this off?  I don't get those
> files when I call LaTeX from the terminal.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> - epicurus

Howdy,

For the (la)tex and (pdf)latex engines go to TeXShop->Preferences-
 >Engine preference pane and remove the `--synctex=1' from the pdfTeX
commands and the `--extratexopts "-synctex=1"' commands from the TeX
+dvips+distiller commands. If you use other engines you'll have to
edit them individually.

If you are using I beilieve the Skim+Emacs(Aquamacs Emacs? Carbon
Emacs?) can actually synchronize using that file.

By the way, synctex is NOT the same thing as pdfsync. It is built into
the pdftex, luatex and xetex binaries and is much superior to anything
produced by the pdfsync package. It's VERY handy!

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)