[OS X TeX] Invoking latex with tex + ghostscript option?

Robert Morelli morelli at flux.utah.edu
Wed Jul 8 16:09:46 CEST 2009

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 08.07.2009 um 08:11 schrieb Robert Morelli:
>
>> I need to invoke the "ordinary" latex on the generated files, not
>> pdflatex.
>
> Using the five letter word (or command) "latex" you'll get DVI. By
> adding '-output-format=dvi' you can force latex and pdflatex etc. to
> produce DVI.

Using "latex" or "latex -output-format=dvi" both invoke pdflatex, just
as if I'd written "pdflatex."

>> I was told that I need to invoke latex with the "tex + ghostscript"
>> option. How do I do that?
>
> Preferences -> Typesetting tab -> Default Script
There are no preferences or tabs. I'm using the command line (or AucTeX
from Aquamacs).

>> Also, is there a way to arrange it so the latex command used on
>> the files pdftricks generates has that option?
>

> You can create your own ENGINE file and put it into
> ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines. Herb once proposed a ps4pdf.engine file:
I don't use TeXShop. TeXShop has its own text editor but I generally use
Emacs (or Aquamacs).
I tried TeXShop once and it didn't read my $TEXMF* variables so didn't
find my custom texinputs.
It didn't seem worth fooling with.