[OS X TeX] backing up /usr (and MacTeX)

Fri Jan 30 20:26:46 CET 2009

On 30.01.2009, at 18:19, Rolf Schmolling wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> I can feel the pain (got lots of motherboard and HD-replacements
> over time – and several portable macs) and I cannot emphasize the
> necessity for backups, but since you are in London, why not buy a
> external HD with a Firewire (AND USB-)-connection, they cannot be
> that expensive. Just clone your internal HD to it and then try to
> repair the internal HD.
>
> SD is really cheap and very reliably (and the smart cloning is
> really worth it, considering the time saved; basic operation (erase
> external drive, then copy/clone) is free. CarbonCopyColoner has
> acquired a smart-clonig-alike feature, so this wouzld be an option
> as well. Setting it up is just a teeny bit more elaborate than with
> SD.
> Having done that I'd  erasing the internal drive (AFTER verifying
> that the bootable backup on the external HD works alright),
> reinstall the systems software and clone back… You might use
> migration assistant if you are on Leopard but this dies NOT cover /
> usr/etc.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Rolf

Actually, that is exactly what I might end up doing - eventually. I
will buy a new Mac in the next 3-5 months but haven't decided which
one yet. Having to pay my rent here in London I am quite keen on
minimizing my spending and will therefore think of a new backup
strategy (and buy the corresponding HDs) once the new Mac has been
decided on. Be assured, I know of the importance of regular backups.
This iBook is seeing its second HD in 4 years and the last one's
death had fortunately little impact thanks to regular cloning.
I appreciate your advice and in fact SD will probably be the next
backup software I will use (recommended it to friends for a long
time) but again, right now there is no need for full backups as my
system is running on a "might-die-any-moment"-basis. Nothing I could
not reinstall within a very short time, nothing I would miss if it
were gone, nothing really important that is not on the USB drive. And
since my last experiences (5 weeks ago) with reinstalling cloned
versions was so disastrous (still not clear why, ran into really
weird problems like Finder not being able to show information for ANY
file or folder) I will stick to this approach until the replacement
Mac is ordered.
Thanks for your comments (especially mentioning CCC, had actually
never heard of it but looks interesting),

Alex