[OS X TeX] First tries with PSTricks

Scott, Randy Scott_Randy at sccollege.edu
Thu Jan 29 19:15:42 CET 2009

Hi,

Things between me and TeX have been pretty good of late. After a year of concerted effort, I've gotten to the point where I can make documents do what I want them to do, and I'v not used M$ Word for a single document for the last 6 months! This is due in no small part to the help of the users of this list.

So I'm trying to learn PSTricks. I found a nice tutorial <http://sarovar.org/projects/pstricks/> through the TUG website, but I'm having a little trouble getting started.

I've included \usepackage{pstricks} in the preamble, and when I check the log file, it shows

   (/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pstricks/latex/pstricks.sty
   Package: pstricks 2008/01/24 v0.37 LaTeX wrapper for `PSTricks' (RN,HV)

   (/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pstricks/pstricks.tex
   `PSTricks' v1.26  <2008/07/31> (tvz)
   \pst at dima=\dimen112
   \pst at dimb=\dimen113
   \pst at dimc=\dimen114
   \pst at dimd=\dimen115
   \pst at dimg=\dimen116
   \pst at dimh=\dimen117
   \pst at hbox=\box28
   \pst at boxg=\box29
   \pst at cnta=\count100
   \pst at cntb=\count101
   \pst at cntc=\count102
   \pst at cntd=\count103
   \pst at cntg=\count104
   \pst at cnth=\count105
   \pst at toks=\toks19
   (/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pstricks/pstricks.con)
   \psunit=\dimen118
   \psxunit=\dimen119
   \psyunit=\dimen120
   \pslinewidth=\dimen121
   \pst at customdefs=\toks20
   \pslinearc=\dimen122
   \everypsbox=\toks21
   \psframesep=\dimen123
   \pslabelsep=\dimen124
   \pst at shift=\dimen125
   \theoverlaybox=\box30
   )
   File: pstricks.tex 2008/07/31 v1.26 `PSTricks' (tvz)

which I think means that pstricks is loaded properly. But when I type even the simplest of commands, say \psline(1,1)(3,2) , I get an error message : undefined control sequence

This happens whether I include the command inside a pspicture environment or not.

Any help identifying what's going wrong would be appreciated.

Randy Scott
Santiago Canyon College
Orange, Ca