[OS X TeX] TeXShop 2.20

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jan 29 17:09:21 CET 2009

On Jan 28, 2009, at 2:28 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2009, at 1:52 PM, Richard Koch wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Another useful data point: Vincent sent his long source file to me.
>> There is no slowdown on my machine when inserting extra text near
>> the middle, near the start, or near the end, even if I deliberately
>> try to type as fast as I can.
>>
>> In fairness, I need to report that one other user reported an
>> editing slowdown in an earlier version of TeXShop, which probably
>> still persists. In that case, I WAS able to reproduce the behavior
>> on my machine. I haven't had time to diagnose that problem yet.
>>
>> Dick

> Howdy,
>
> Hmmmm... I just tried 2.20 out on my old PowerBook (1.67GHz PPC),
> 2GB RAM, OS X 10.5.6 and the TeXBook source file and there is very
> noticeable slowdown. Something going on on the PPC side? When I did
> this with my Macbook Pro I saw no slowdown.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

Some more notes on this.

One should let TeXShop search through the complete file to set up
syntax coloring; that takes a while with a large file and exaggerates
the slowness.

Once syntax coloring is complete for the entire file there is still a
fairly dramatic slow response time if line numbering is turned on. If
you turn line numbering off there is then a dramatic speed increase to
normal levels.

Dick, if you want to have me take samples, etc., please let me know.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)