[OS X TeX] TeXShop 2.20

Jan Rosinski rosinski at math.utk.edu
Wed Jan 28 05:06:46 CET 2009

I am going back and forth between Texshop and  Aquamacs.
Aquamacs has good inline latex preview which gives WYSIWYG
editing experience with many nice features and without
the restriction on the latex to be plain.
The latter is difficult to maintain when there are more than one
author of a paper.
In such cases programs like LyX or Scientific Word produce a mess
in their previews or complain that can not translate the document.
With Aquamac I get  WYSIWYG  with any latex file.

I get excited when I learn new features in Aquamax and then get
frustrated when something
does not work (or rather I do not know how to make it work). The manuals
assume some knowledge of unix, I think, and it is difficult to find
things one needs.
  So, there are many features in aquamacs which are not obvious
because of poor documentation
for 'regular' latex users who just want to write papers and have no
need or desire to learn advanced
computing. Consequently, I learn by trial and error and the only
advantage of Aquamacs over the TeXShop,
to me at present, is the inline preview.

I have a question to knowledgeable people. Is it possible, in
principle, to port the inline
latex preview from auctex to TeXShop?

Jan