[OS X TeX] TeXShop 2.20

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 23:56:47 CET 2009

On Jan 26, 2009, at 5:27 PM, Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:

> People out there still using OS 10.4 might be interested to know the
> following explanation from Dick.
>
> JT
>
> On 1/26/09, Richard Koch <koch at math.uoregon.edu> wrote:
>> Jung-Tsung,
>>
>>  TeXShop 2.20 will work fine on system 10.4, modulo an important
>> bug in the
>> PDFKit which Apple fixed in system 10.5. TeXShop ran on 10.4
>> during the
>> entire "lifetime" of that system, so users managed to exist with
>> the bug.
>> But now that it is fixed in Leopard ....
>>
>>  The problem is that when you typeset, TeXShop needs to throw away
>> the data
>> for the old pdf file and load the new one. In system 10.4,
>> throwing away the
>> old data led to an enormous slowdown of TeXShop. TeXShop has a
>> work around
>> to trick the system into believing that this old data is still
>> being used.
>> As a result, the program is fast and displays the new pdf, but
>> your memory
>> is gradually reduced as you typeset over and over.
>>
>>  TeXShop recognizes when it is running on 10.5, and disables the
>> workaround;
>> thus on Leopard your memory is not used up.
>>
>>  Dick
>

> Dick,
>
>  Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. I have installed
> the
>  latest version, and it ran smoothly on OS 10.4.11.
>
>  Let me join others to thank you for the wonderful contributions.

I haven't downloaded it yet but I appreciate the reassurance (10.4.11)
—as well as the explanation—and, in any case, I wish to join the
crowd and thank Koch et al for a front end that I have really enjoyed
from the moment I started the hard LaTreK.

Very, very grateful regards
--schremmer

P. S. Last night, I spent a couple of hours on acquamacs because I am
looking for an html editor and thought I would first meet acquamacs
on a turf that I am a bit more familiar with. I was soundly defeated.
So, yes, Slater is right, sometimes, after all, too much of a good
thing is not so good.