Fwd: [OS X TeX] TeXShop 2.20

Jung-Tsung Shen jushen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 23:27:34 CET 2009

People out there still using OS 10.4 might be interested to know the
following explanation from Dick.

JT

On 1/26/09, Richard Koch <koch at math.uoregon.edu> wrote:
 > Jung-Tsung,
 >
 >  TeXShop 2.20 will work fine on system 10.4, modulo an important bug in the
 > PDFKit which Apple fixed in system 10.5. TeXShop ran on 10.4 during the
 > entire "lifetime" of that system, so users managed to exist with the bug.
 > But now that it is fixed in Leopard ....
 >
 >  The problem is that when you typeset, TeXShop needs to throw away the data
 > for the old pdf file and load the new one. In system 10.4, throwing away the
 > old data led to an enormous slowdown of TeXShop. TeXShop has a work around
 > to trick the system into believing that this old data is still being used.
 > As a result, the program is fast and displays the new pdf, but your memory
 > is gradually reduced as you typeset over and over.
 >
 >  TeXShop recognizes when it is running on 10.5, and disables the workaround;
 > thus on Leopard your memory is not used up.
 >
 >  Dick

Dick,

 Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. I have installed the
 latest version, and it ran smoothly on OS 10.4.11.

 Let me join others to thank you for the wonderful contributions.

 JT