[OS X TeX] Split PDF view

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 18:36:56 CET 2009

On Jan 25, 2009, at 12:10 PM, Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2009, at 11:30 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>

>> Am 25.01.2009 um 17:23 schrieb Alain Schremmer:
>>
>>> I was wondering whether I am the only one to miss such features
>>
>> Probably not. Therefore GNU Emacs offers this. And even more you
>> haven't imagined or found missing yet ...
>>

> It kind of does this. Alain is asking for the final PDF view to be
> split, which Emacs doesn't display,

Yes, that was R-1 but here I was asking for multiple, possibly split,
windows à la *…* (censored) for both the source and the preview.

> unless I missed something very recent with emacs (I'm viewing in
> Skim). What Emacs does have is preview-latex which enables you to
> see a sufficiently formatted version of your document within the
> source editing window, which can be split far more than could even
> be usable. Top/bottom, side by side, both, etc.
>
> I do think it would sufficiently do what Alain wants, but I think
> he want this inside TeXShop, along with many other features of
> Emacs. That would undermine what TeXShop actually is, IMHO. One new
> feature never does this, but they compound over time. I think Dick
> has the right idea in being very conservative avoiding featuritis.

I agree this a very real danger and this is why I thought that
collating all the "feature requests" to judge of their appeal would
help Koch to decide what he wanted to do.

> It's killed a lot of other projects, and he simply doesn't have the
> level of assistance that the multi-platform Emacs has to implement
> feature after feature.

As for the lack of assistance, I truly wish I could help but I am way
too old—and already embroiled in the magnum opus.

Regards
--schremmer