[OS X TeX] Macintouch report on TeX versus Word

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Jan 25 16:36:46 CET 2009

On Jan 25, 2009, at 9:01 AM, Jason Davies wrote:

> Peter Dyballa wrote on 25/1/09 at 00:14
>
>> Here is the template of a preamble that works both for LaTeX
>> (producing
>> PDF or DVI, maybe the latter needs a bit more regard, but I gave it
>> up
>> so long ago…) and for XeLaTeX (correct my font choices, the usual
>> suspects Times, Helvetica, & Courier can be OK):
>
> thanks for all this. I will put this somewhere for now and work
> through it. I assume that once i'm in XeLaTeX I can 'simply' type
> accents with option keys (etc) and it will read them fine? I'm no
> fluent LaTeXer, i have to talk myself through most of the steps each
> time I mess with something so can't tell at a glance whther I've
> understood this or not!

Howdy,

As long as you save the file as UTF-8 encoding xelatex will work just
fine. If you're using TeXShop the lines

%%!TEX TS-program = xelatex
%%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

at the top of the file before the first Save will do that job. Other
editors will require other methods.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)