[OS X TeX] XeLaTeX?

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Sat Jan 24 22:50:18 CET 2009

On 24.01.2009, at 22:39, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 24 jan 2009, at 21:56, david craig wrote:
>

>> As for fonts ...
>>
>>> It's not the case anymore, since XeTeX and XeLaTeX exist.
>>
>> I am unclear on the level of compatibility between XeLaTeX and
>> LaTeX. Will LaTeX files compile under XeLaTeX precisely as they
>> would under LaTeX?  If yes, why does TeXShop not default to XeLaTeX
>> now?
>
> This answer has several levels:
>
> - If you use psticks or psfrag, you can't use xe(la)tex without
> changes to your source. (or switch from latex+dvips to pdflatex).
> - If you customized your layout (especially including font changes)
> you will have to change your source to get the layout in xelatex.
> - If you are heavy on mathematical typesetting, not all fonts will
> be able to handle all symbols.
> - Journals expect you to send 'standard' latex.

One thing to add to that list:

- So far, there's no support for pdftex's microtypography features,
which is for me the reason I stay with (pdf)LaTeX for the moment.

Simon
--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

„Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.“ General Buck
Turgidson