[OS X TeX] Re: Macintouch report on TeX versus Word

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 00:59:01 CET 2009

On Jan 23, 2009, at 6:20 PM, david craig wrote:

> Two breif comments:
>
> First, even if the command-line character were not off-putting to
> everyone but the geeks, the serious bummer that is fonts is enough
> to relegate TeX to the margins.  (I'm astonished this point has not
> figured more prominently in this discussion.)

I thought that XeTeX had taken care of that until the issue of
accents came up.

> Second, to me one of the principal virtues of TeX is that I expect
> my tex files to be as comprehensible 100 years from now as they are
> today. I sincerely doubt that can be said of (*shudder*) Word
> documents, or even pdf.

It certainly should have been mentioned even if 100 years might be
asking a bit much. But maybe not having been mentioned was just the
result of being taken for granted.

> Any front-end to TeX (a la Lyx? TeXtures?) that would undermine
> this virtue is of no interest to me whatsoever.

You are alluding to something I don't know: is the output of, say,
LyX not quite TeX?

Regards
--schremmer