[OS X TeX] Macintouch report on TeX versus Word

Franck Pastor franck.pastor at skynet.be
Fri Jan 23 07:52:22 CET 2009

Le 23-janv.-09 à 00:23, George Gratzer a écrit :

> David,
>
> Why are you so keen to expand the club? TeX was written by Knuth
> for his own use to write some books. He, and others, expanded it to
> other mathematicians. If for some reason non mathematicians want to
> use it, more power to them. But, really, why would anybody use
> Word, if the error messages were in C?
>
> The interface you are looking for is available commercially:
> Scientific Word, I reviewed it for the Notices of the AMS in 1994,
> I believe. But you have to pay a stiff price.
>
> A brand new version (for both Windows and Mac) will be out this
> year in the summer. I will review it in January 2010 in the Notices.

In my opinion, LyX is more than a match for Scientific Word. It's the
same kind of interface, roughly the same features and it's free (free
as freedoom and as a beer:-)). But if by Scientific Word you meant
Scientific Workplace (Scientific Word + MuPad), I agree with you:
the integration of a computational algebra software is a very strong
advantage.