[OS X TeX] Macintouch report on TeX versus Word

George Gratzer gratzer at me.com
Fri Jan 23 00:23:13 CET 2009

David,

Why are you so keen to expand the club? TeX was written by Knuth for
his own use to write some books. He, and others, expanded it to other
mathematicians. If for some reason non mathematicians want to use it,
more power to them. But, really, why would anybody use Word, if the
error messages were in C?

The interface you are looking for is available commercially:
Scientific Word, I reviewed it for the Notices of the AMS in 1994, I
believe. But you have to pay a stiff price.

A brand new version (for both Windows and Mac) will be out this year
in the summer. I will review it in January 2010 in the Notices.

GG