[OS X TeX] Macintouch report on TeX versus Word

David B. Thompson, Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE, CFM drdbthompson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 19:26:10 CET 2009

On Jan 22, 2009, at 10:19, George Gratzer wrote:

> I think this is all academic. Us, mathematicians, have no choice.
> Journal only accept articles in LaTeX. Math publishers too.

That may be true, but I work in private practice and still use LaTeX
for 90 percent of my production. I don't have professional support
staff and my reports look better than Brand X. When I was an academic
<grin>, I did all my own reports too, using LaTeX, and my work looked
better than 90 percent of the competition. The sponsors notice things
like that. (No snide remarks about the *quality* of said work, now! :)

So, while I'm not arguing, I would point out that there are reasons to
use to tools besides it's what's required by the publishers. I can
produce better-looking reports faster using LaTeX than I could dream
of using other systems. That's a good bottom line for me.

OK... crawling back to my rock now... It's probably better for y'all
if I lurk anyway. I'm an old, opinionated curmudgeon!

-=d