[OS X TeX] Package incompatability?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jan 20 00:57:40 CET 2009

On Jan 19, 2009, at 3:33 PM, Jim Reeds wrote:

> I am writing a book and (perhaps fooishly) agreed to supply camera
> ready copy.  In the course of this I found that some packages I want
> to use
> do not seem to be consistent with each other.
>
> The following illustrates my problems.
> On an OS 10.5.6 Intel, running the version 2008 Texlive from
> the shell, as in
>
>  pdflatex foo
>  makeindex foo
>  pdflatex foo
>
> the second pdflatex run bombs.
>

> ---- file foo.tex ---
> \documentclass{report}
>
> %%%
> %
> % crop/mparhack/makeidx don't play nicely together!
> %
> % but any pair of them does.
> %
> %%%
>

> \usepackage[dvips=false,pdftex=false,vtex=false,verbose]{geometry}
> \geometry{twoside,top=1in,width=32pc,lines=50,papersize={7in,
> 10in},bindingoffset=.25in,hmarginratio=1:1}
>
> \usepackage[cross,font=textsf,center,letter]{crop}
> \usepackage{mparhack}
> \usepackage{makeidx}
>
> \makeindex
> \begin{document}
> fee\index{fee}
> figh\index{fi}
> foe\index{fo}
>
> \printindex
> \end{document}
> --- EOF ---
>
> I love my crop marks, and I need my index.  The marginal notes (I have
> zillions of them) occasionally end in the wrong margin if I don't  use
> mparhack.  I know I can make the index in a separate run, with
> crop marks but not marginal notes.  But why doesn't theabove stuff
> work?
>
> Thanks!

Howdy,

Let's see... In MacTeX 2008 the crop package is v1.9 dated 2003/05/20,
the mparhack package is v1.4 dated 2005/04/17 and the makeidx package
is v1.0m dated 2000/03/29. They haven't changed in quite a while so if
they worked after 2005 they should still work today.

Peter Dyballa has a good point about the geometry package but I can
leave that package out completely as well as use the article class and
get the same error. It also doesn't work if I use the index package
instead of the makeidx package or change the order of the package

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)