[OS X TeX] What Is New in LATEX?

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Mon Jan 19 02:30:26 CET 2009

On Jan 16, 2009, at 11:07 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2009, at 1:48 PM, Jan Anderssen wrote:
>

>>> after a list, the next paragraph is indented
>>
>> \noindent may be your friend
>>
>> (not a general solution, but it rhymed... und was sich reimt ist
>> gut .-))
>
> (1) It IS, in fact, my friend and I use it a lot because I don't use
> subsections but, instead, asparaenum.
>
> (2) However, this was not my point here. I think that Grätzer had
> TWO paragraphs starting""
>
> 	To work with …
>
> 	If you
>
> But because the first paragraph ends with a list and the second
> paragraph has, immediately after the opening sentence, a list, it
> looks like the opening sentence of the second paragraph
>
> 	If you
>
> is just an "interitem" in a long list so that there is only one
> paragraph starting with
>
> —To work with
>
> (3) So either I am wrong in seeing TWO paragraphs in Grätzer's
> article, or Schulz and yourself, in seing ONE paragraph with an
> "interitem", validate my point that this is something that LaTeX is
> not handling in a satisfactory way.

You might find it to your taste to add \usepackage[parfill]{parskip}
so that you continue to have indented itemizations, but new paragraphs
are separated by vertical space, not indented. It does not matter if
you end a paragraph with a list---you will see no visual difference
normally, unless perhaps glue needs to be stretched or shrunk. I
prefer this type of output in almost all technical documents.

Michael