[OS X TeX] Re : Stupid question about the tabular environment

Josep Maria Font jmfont at ub.edu
Sat Jan 17 20:39:07 CET 2009

El 17/01/2009, a las 20:12, Herbert Schulz escribió:

> On Jan 17, 2009, at 11:58 AM, philippe grandjean wrote:
>
>> With \begin{center} at the beginning and \end{center} at the en on
>> my mac i
>> have a table perfectly balanced

> Howdy,
>
> Not here! If the table width is <=\textwidth it will be ok but with
> a table width >\textwidth it will start at the left margin and only
> stick out into the right margin.

Strange. It works well here (with *both* the \begin{center} ...
\end{center} and the tabular inside a \makebox[c].

Anyway, I presume the definitive trick is to make LaTeX think the
table has width zero, and center its contents in a zero-width box:

\begin{center}
\makebox[0pt][c]{put your tabular here}
\end{center}

JMaF