[OS X TeX] MLA Style Questions

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Thu Jan 15 14:11:20 CET 2009

On 15.01.2009, at 13:58, Richard J Benish wrote:

> Since I'm now in a writing class that requires MLA style format, I
> greatly appreciate Ryan Aycock's MLA Package and the posting:
>
> http://www.1984produkts.com/donkeyhottie/archives/2008/05/05/how-to-
> write-a-simple-english-humanities-paper-in-latex/
>
> This works well to get the paper proper in the right format.
>
> Unfortunately, the "Works Cited" at the end is not in the format we
> need and I don't know how to change it. Is there a simple way to
> get this section to look, not like Aycock's sample paper, but like
> James Clawson's samples?:
>
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/biblatex-
> mla.html
>

> I've tried to follow Clawson's installation instructions:
>
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/exptl/biblatex-contrib/
> biblatex-mla/README
>
> but I can't find a "cbx" folder or a "bbx" folder in which the
> "mla.cbx" and "mla.bbx" files are supposed to go.
>
> Is this due to a Windows/Mac conflict?
>
> Trying to format in LaTex is not easy. Does a template exist
> somewhere that will just work without any headaches?

The biblatex-mla style requires the biblatex package which, so far,
is not part of the standard TeXLive installation. Chances or high
that you don't have that installed, so you need to install it first
(which is quite easy to do). Download biblatex from CTAN (http://
ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/exptl/biblatex/ ) and install it in
your personal tree (~/Library/texmf ). You then have a cbx and bb
folder inside the biblatex folder where you can put the MLA style files.

simon
--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

„I have never been certain that the moral of the Icarus myth is, as
is generally accepted, 'don't fly too high', or whether it might also
be thought of as: 'forget about the wax and feathers, and do a better
job on the wings.“ Stanley Kubrick