[OS X TeX] Modifying a thesis cls file

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Thu Jan 15 02:55:20 CET 2009

At 12:14 AM +0000 1/15/09, Phil Trinh wrote:
>My department offers a standard cls file for writeups, but
>unfortunately the current format is rather difficult to read. It uses
>the standard report class as a basis, with only small modifications.
>However, I find it much easier to read paragraphs that are doubled
>spaced, and not indented (like the dutch artikel3 style). I have tried
>something like,
>
>\setlength{\parskip}{2ex}
>\setlength{\parindent}{0pt}
>
>But this messes up some of the document formatting like for the table
>of contents. Is there an easy way for me to obtain this change in
>paragraphing and indenting? I do want a rather easy fix and don't want
>to spend a long time messing with the nitty-gritty formatting.
>
>Thank you,
>- p

This is discussed in the very helpful UK FAQ  (link to be found at
the bottom of this message.)

Use the setspace package, which does what you want.

Alan

Alan Munn						amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages		Tel.
	517-355-7491
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824 USA	Fax	517-432-2736