[OS X TeX] [ANN] TeX Live Utility 0.5

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Thu Jan 8 22:56:48 CET 2009

On  8 Jan, 2009, at 11:13, Maxwell, Adam R wrote:

> On 01/07/09 22:10, "Axel E. Retif" <axel.retif at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> I know what I do is really unorthodox, but I keep my fonts
>> (Lucida, Minion Pro) in ~/Library/texmf..., instead of /usr/local.../
>> texmf-local, and anyway use updmap-sys (but without -H) to enable the
>> map files, as if for all users. Sensible people in this list have
>> pointed out the potential problems of that, but as I am the only user
>> in my machines...
>
> I can't say whether this is a good idea or bad...if I want a font that
> doesn't come with MacTeX, I use xetex since life is too short to
> install fonts for TeX :).

I've been using the MinionPro package, from BerliOS, for quite some
time, and it's really worth the time it takes to install; it interacts
very nicely with XeLaTeX and fontspec also. By Lucida I mean the
Lucida-Lucida New Math and corresponding macros from TUG or PCTeX.

>> Anyway, it is then a mystery to me why TLU sent said error in the
>> laptop but the command line worked fine in the desktop.
>
> TLU does the moral equivalent of sudo -H by default, and you didn't
> use -H on the command line.  Wouldn't that explain it?

??? Well..., yes ---that's what I meant originally when I said ``I
guess you call updmap-sys with -H...''. Obviously I didn't know how to
express it correctly.

If ---or rather, when--- I move my fonts to texmf-local, I'll be able
to use your very nice TLU; I like the message panel very much.

Best and thank you.

Axel