[OS X TeX] [ANN] TeX Live Utility 0.5

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jan 8 14:22:25 CET 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 12:10 AM, Axel E. Retif wrote:

> Well... I know what I do is really unorthodox, but I keep my fonts
> (Lucida, Minion Pro) in ~/Library/texmf..., instead of /usr/local.../
> texmf-local, and anyway use updmap-sys (but without -H) to enable
> the map files, as if for all users. Sensible people in this list
> have pointed out the potential problems of that, but as I am the
> only user in my machines...
>
> Anyway, it is then a mystery to me why TLU sent said error in the
> laptop but the command line worked fine in the desktop.
>
> Best,
>
> Axel

Howdy,

That is what I used to do too but have now switched to using texmf-
local just to get those files out of my HOME directory tree. I don't
really understand why people have a problem with that; the system wide
map files have references to fonts that don't exist for other users
but I'm not sure what the big deal is about getting an error message.
I've also written a shell script to install the map files for all of
the fonts I have in texmf-local into the system wide map files; this
is for when I overwrite my MacTeX with an updated version (not very
often now that we have tlmgr, or TeX Live Utility) or install MacTeX
2009, etc.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)