[OS X TeX] BibTex with MacTeX

Max Weiss max.morgan.weiss at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 21:42:30 CET 2009

Sorry, this is a very basic question.

I recently installed a MacTeX in OSX 10.5.6, and laTeX is working fine
with TeXShop.  However, I'm not sure how to get BibTeX running.  Where
do I put the .bib and .bst files?  The MacTeX FAQ suggests
[~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib].  However, my /texmf directory seems to
have ended up as [/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist].  I put the .bib
file here but BibTeX still can't find it.

...Is it necessary to have TeX installed so that this stuff can only
be manipulated in Terminal?  Or, for example, is there a way to move
the installation so it can be manipulated in Finder, and then to point
TeXShop to its new home?  I'm not very comfortable with Terminal and
am too lazy to use it just for BibTeX.

Thanks!

Max Weiss