Re: Documentation (was Re: [OS X TeX] Kanbun (漢文) and French...)

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 21:21:05 CET 2009

On Jan 4, 2009, at 2:50 PM, cfrees at imapmail.org wrote:

> On Sun 4th Jan, 2009 at 14:38, Alain Schremmer seems to have written:
>

>> On Jan 4, 2009, at 1:28 PM, Martin Costabel wrote:
>>
>>> But you know how to call TeXShop's preferences pane? On its first
>>> window, it has a menu called "Encoding".
>>
>> You walk in a room in which you know there is potentially lethal
>> equipment. Of course, you hit the first switch you find? I stay
>> away from any button/switch about something I don't understand.
>> When I first downloaded gwTeX, the i-installer asked me only one
>> question: Letterhead or A7. Since A7 was after my time, I
>> hesitated a bit but since I definitely knew what letterhead was
>> and since I HAD to respond, I went with letterhead, if with some
>> trepidation.
>>

> Maybe it asked you to choose letterpaper or A4? That would seem more
> likely. A7 would be _tiny_ - half of half of half of A4! And
> letterhead
> sounds very specific for general use. :)

You "seem" to be right. (The reason I am saying it this way is 7
seems indeed high but mostly that my last installation of gwTeX—which
I am still using—is at least three years old and I can't really
remember.)

>>> Every text editor has such a menu somewhere. This is just life. I
>>> find this whole encoding and fonts business repulsive, too, just
>>> like the different keyboard layouts that one has to deal with.
>>
>> Fortunately, 99% of what I write nowadays is in English but the
>> remaining 1% French is indeed a pain.
>
> What's also a pain is the apparent inability of the OS to tie a
> keyboard layout/input thing to an application. I can't seem to
> teach it
> that I *always* want a US layout when I'm in Terminal (so that I can
> type hash symbols) even if I'm typing my Welsh homework in TeXShop!

And that I cannot change at the flick of something what language I am
writing in and that I have to put up with the English spell checker
when I am writing in French.

That's life.

Best regards
--schremmer