Re: Documentation (was Re: [OS X TeX] Kanbun (漢文) and French...)

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 20:38:00 CET 2009

On Jan 4, 2009, at 1:28 PM, Martin Costabel wrote:

> But you know how to call TeXShop's preferences pane? On its first
> window, it has a menu called "Encoding".

You walk in a room in which you know there is potentially lethal
equipment. Of course, you hit the first switch you find? I stay away
from any button/switch about something I don't understand. When I
first downloaded gwTeX, the i-installer asked me only one question:
Letterhead or A7. Since A7 was after my time, I hesitated a bit but
since I definitely knew what letterhead was and since I HAD to
respond, I went with letterhead, if with some trepidation.

> Every text editor has such a menu somewhere. This is just life. I
> find this whole encoding and fonts business repulsive, too, just
> like the different keyboard layouts that one has to deal with.

Fortunately, 99% of what I write nowadays is in English but the
remaining 1% French is indeed a pain.

Regards
--schremmer